Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Vogue 8593


pattern: Vogue 8593
Fabric: John Kaldor stretch cotton jersey, bought at John Lewis (£22/m)


I first made this dress back in November and completely forgot to write a post- oops. The pattern is Vogue 8593. I originally made the long sleeved version in a black medium weight interlock (see picture below), sewn by hand after my old sewing machine gave up. Due to the slight stretch of the fabric I used tiny diagonal overlapping stitch similar to a machine stretch stitch. I have previously said that I like hand stitching, and I still do, but this took forever! and  by the end of it I was missing my machine dearly. 

I didn't mean to look so glum!
I had a slight issue making sure the neckline folds were in the right place as the pleats cover up the markings and I had to use the neck facing to make sure it was lined up correctly. I inserted a zip on the first two designs, but it really isn't necessary for a stretch fabric and I left it out of the final version and cut the pattern on the fold to remove the back seam. This time I sewed it on the machine and it was really quick to make up as there are so few seams. I stitched the hems by hand using a herringbone stitch. The fabric of the turquoise version has a lot of drape and clings to the body much more than the interlock.

So far the black version is probably the most worn of all my me-made clothing it can be worn pretty much  anywhere and it is really comfortable too. I will probably keep making this dress- definitely a wardrobe staple.




No comments:

Post a Comment