Friday, 29 August 2014

Mother of the bride/ Vogue 1108

As promised here is a post of the dress I made for my mother for my wedding last summer. The pattern is Vogue 1108 made in shot silk dupion, which has a green/orange shimmer and is similar to the fabric on the pattern sleeve. The dress has a pleated  front and back and bow on the side. We made the bow slightly smaller than the pattern as my mum did not want it getting in the way of any dancing and rightly so. The pattern includes an interlined section with plastic boning which help keep the pleats in place. I liked the detail of piping at the neckline. This is quite a bombshell dress and really suits the dupion. I think it would look rather nice in red or navy.

I really like sewing with silk dupion as it stays where you put it and you can finger press the seams and pleats in place.

My mum used the left over fabric to make her own matching hat (she is the source of my craftiness).

Thursday, 28 August 2014

Beautiful Bridesmaid

Continuing on a wedding theme I thought it was about time I posted the dresses I made for my mother and sister for my wedding, that was only a year ago, tut tut.  I will post my mothers dress next.

We batted a few ideas about before settling on the 50s inspired design which featured a boat neck, full skirt and peplum at the waist. The fabric is a pale mint/turquoise silk dupion from Silk Society in Soho. The skirt was underlined with silk organza and the bodice is self underlined with plastic boning. The dress was lined with Bremsilk cupro lining and there is a concealed zip in the side seam.

The dress was apparently comfortable from morning until night and I think she looked beautiful, but that isn't surprising.

Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Nigerian bridesmaid dress

My sister was recently bridesmaid at a wedding where the groom was Nigerian. Before the wedding the bride chose a traditional Nigerian fabric that all the bridemaids and guests could use to get outfits made. My sister asked me to make her dress and provided me with the inspiration from which I drafted the pattern. The dress is lined with plain yellow cotton that is also used for the contrast panel. The dress turned out quite well, I was especially pleased with my pattern matched seam down the back.


Saturday, 16 August 2014

Successful skirt

This skirt has helped me use up the linen left over from the red dress I made in May. I wanted a straight skirt that was comfortable; that I could wear for work and wouldn't make walking difficult as pencil skirts inevitably do. 

I started with my basic straight skirt block  converting the darts to pleats to and added a frill to the back to allow enough room for me to be able to take stairs two at a time. I used a curved seam to join the frill to add a bit of interest. Sewing curves is always a bit of a faff, but I think they are worth the effort. 

It is lined with my favourite cupro bremsilk lining as I had some left over from another project, although not enough to line the frill. 

This was a simple project and I will definitely make more versions of this skirt for winter. However next time I will cut the frill on the bias to get more movement and drape.